Forum

Replies: 3   Views: 3288
Google docs viewer problem
Topic closed:
Please note this is an old forum thread. Information in this post may be out-to-date and/or erroneous.
Every phpdocx version includes new features and improvements. Previously unsupported features may have been added to newer releases, or past issues may have been corrected.
We encourage you to download the current phpdocx version and check the Documentation available.

Posted by mcgarryit  · 13-12-2016 - 18:29

How do I diagnose what aspect of my generated Word document is not compatible with the Google Docs Viewer?

I am using the Advanced version of phpdocx.

I have tried a document generated using a single template.

And I have tried generated documents merged into a single word document.

Neither type will display in Google Docs.

If I open the file in Word and save it, the saved version will work in Google Docs.

So wondering how I can detect which element is causing the problem, and possibly eliminate that from my documents. (My priority is to be able to provide my Users with a view on our site, of the word document.)

Thanks

Paul

Posted by admin  · 13-12-2016 - 19:06

Hello,

There's no tool or class to detect what tags Google Docs is not able to read properly. We recommend you to try the content one by one to get the exact element is returning the error (if you send the DOCX to contact[at]phpdocx.com we'll check it too using Google Docs).

MS Word has default styles and values that some tags may need to open DOCX files properly with Google Docs and other programs such as OpenOffice or LibreOffice. For example table widths; you need to specify a width for each table and column to show tables with their correct sizes when you open the document with LibreOffice or Google Docs (Ms Word calculates table widths automatically if their values are empty).

Regards.

Posted by mcgarryit  · 14-12-2016 - 13:15

Thanks Admin.

I have since found that I can use the Microsoft Online Viewer to provide a view of the documents generated with phpdocx.

Would you have any opinion to offer, on the use of this method to provide the viewing functionality?

And does phpdocx have any plans to provide a similar view function which would make our lives easier?

Regards

Paul

Posted by admin  · 14-12-2016 - 15:28

Hello,

The conversion plugin available in Advanced and Premium licenses allow to transform DOCX to PDF and other document formats. It can be used to transform it to PDF or PNG to see the document in a browser.

Regards.